Thursday, June 27, 2013

The summer is already flying by since school starts here the first week in August. My job watching the twins will begin again the end of July when my daughter-in-law returns to teacher-prep time prior to the start of school.

The twins are growing so fast! Molly is constantly flipping over on her belly and pays no attention to the fact that she should be sleeping on her back! Harper is taking on the role of the mellow, happy baby but those roles alternate from time to time. They are both starting to hold their own bottles which is way-cool! They have an established bedtime of 8:30 at this point although they don't always follow that rule either!

We spent some quality time with the twins when we were evacuated form our home due to the Prescott Doce fire. The twins' dad was on the fire from the time it was at one acre and for 12 hours following its rapid race over Granite Mountain He stood on back porches facing 30 foot walls of flame and a week later, he finally got to see his family, no homes were lost, and we were allowed to return home! We were grateful to our daughter-in-law who took us and our 2 dogs in!
This was taken from our front porch. You do not see the mountain here as it was totally engulfed. It came within a mile of our home but thank God and the Firefighters, we were spared. My son said it was sad to see the animals fleeing in front of the flames and it's a sad reminder of the habitat that was lost. I am looking up at a scarred, black mountain as I type this but no firefighters were injured and we are happy to be home among our beautiful pinon and junipers.

I've done more reflecting on my new role and have realized there is definitely an adjustment I had not anticipated. For all of my working life, from an engineer tech at Sony to professional roles at NAU and Yavapai College, I was a well-respected and confident manager. Now, I struggle to figure out how to fold a stroller, the best way to wash a bottle or which leg to put in the sleeper first. Certainly these are things I did quite well when my own kids were babies but as I've said so many times, baby items and opinions have changed. I try way too hard to do everything perfect and judge myself accordingly (something I've done all my life). I need to lighten up, not take things so seriously and realize that I do not need to bring the same intensity to this job as I did in my professional career! The twins love me and I love them and that is all that really matters. Their little smiles hold no judgement when my own can be so harsh.

I think it is great that we learn patience while raising our own children because there is so much more for our grandchildren. Perhaps knowing we can hand them over to their very loving and capable parents at the end of the day is why we have patience to spare. I always heard other grandparents say that was the best part of being grandparents.... they go home with their parents after we get to play with and love on them!

On the 6th, the girls will be baptized in the Catholic church. Having been raised Catholic, I am delighted! Although my Catholic upbringing was strict, it is what I attribute my morals and my faith to. I would not change a thing if I could and I pray the girls will find their strength and courage in their faith. We are so blessed to have them and they are blessed to have been born into a large and loving family on both sides.

Well, I am painting my walls during my hiatus from child care so I'd better get back at it. The summer is zooming by! Love to all from Meema!

No comments:

Post a Comment