Wednesday, May 8, 2013

During the weeks leading up to my retirement, friends and relatives voiced concerns about giving up my career and talking on the care of 2 infants. I would say to those who may be considering the same, to follow your heart. My husband and I had all of the practical conversations about the impact to our income but in our hearts, we knew that neither of us wanted to hand these infants over to strangers and like most parents, we wanted to help our kids. We have and will continue to adjust our lifestyles to do so. This isn't a hardship, it's family. Families for years have circled the wagons to support and protect each other.

Was I physically up to the challenge? I had no doubt. I am very active, have plenty of energy and though I suffer from occasional back pain, I look at this as an opportunity for strength training! The girls are transforming before my eyes! They started as tiny little wisps of fluff and now fill my arms. It will not be long before they are able to hold their own bottles and start to crawl!

Our typical day starts with my arrival at their house at about 8 AM. They are typically asleep until 9 or 9:30 when it is time to eat again. My daughter-in-law has done an amazing job of pumping breast milk and the bottles are all neatly lined up for me in the fridge. After the 9:30 feeding we play! The Baby Channel is always on in the background to entice me to sing, count, spell and discuss what's going on. The girls let me know when they are tired and with only one swing to help rock, they take turns getting cuddle time on my shoulder until they fall asleep. Again, I highly recommend 2 swings! They have one that runs on both battery and adapter. You want one that plugs in or you will spend a fortune on batteries. Their swing is a Fisher Price. It is quiet and the girls love to watch the monkeys and mirror above them. The selection of sounds are soothing.

Weather permitting, we will go for long walks in their beautiful neighborhood. My niece is a Stroller Strides instructor whose own boys are now in school. She gave her jogging stroller to the kids and it is fabulous! Although they are a little small for it, I bundle them up in it and we cruise! Talk about great exercise! Lunch is at 12:30, followed by more play time and naps and their mom is home at 3:30! With my son's schedule as a Firefighter, he takes care of the twins on his days off. I do not work every day and my daughter-in-law will be off for the summer when school lets out later this month! Pretty sweet schedule, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment