Monday, December 9, 2013



We had so much to be thankful for as we gathered 4 families for Thanksgiving dinner! It was the girls' first Thanksgiving and we are gearing up for their first Christmas and then their first birthday! The year has flown by and they change daily. Each day brings new facial expressions, sounds, personality traits and tentative steps and words. I swear they will be walking by Christmas! They stand independently but then take a knee as soon as they step. They crab-walk everywhere and although we try, they are not easily contained to the designated play areas. When they do escape and see you coming, they go into warp speed on all fours to avoid the interception!

Our days are filled with food, sleep, play and learning time. Shhhhhhhh ... they think the learning is just part of play-time. If you don't think flash cards work at this age let me tell you, they retain more than you give them credit for! I went to hand Molly a ball the other day and she looked directly into my eyes and said, "ball".  Her auntie was witness to this and confirmed what I heard! They love their flash cards. We practice alphabet sounds, colors, shapes and numbers. When I bring out the cards, they scurry over to sit in front of me an their attention span amazes me.

They say" Mama" occasionally, "Dada" all the time and "Da" (dog). Today, when Harper got mad at me, (like when the food was all gone or I wouldn't let her pull her sister's hair tie out) she would scrunch up her face and pretend to cry for "mama". She has the makings of a true drama queen. Molly has her own fake-laugh that is contagious!



We started a ritual of waiting by the window when Mom or Dad is expected to arrive. The smiles on their faces is precious when they see them walk by the window. At that point, they are done with Meema and I am off the clock!










To my surprise, they leave their Christmas tree alone but we do have to keep other treasures out of reach. They are so curious and active and my day flies by. My mantle now has two additional stockings on it and looks so full! Christmas will be exciting with toys under the tree. It's been a long time. There is a greater sense of magic that children bring to Christmas.






Play time is fun!
Jacks is smiling at something Molly said.



Rodeo queens-in-the-making!
Rockin' to the "Pony Girl" song.









Learning to share!

Yeah, this pony is all mine now!
Good 'ol paint.




Now, let's eat!







Mastering our fine motor skills with Cheerios.
Crab walking around the house and teething on the fireplace! Yes, it's worse than chalk on a chalkboard!



Houdini looking for a way out.



Do you think Meema can be bribed?
How many blocks are stacked up in front of me?



Well, there was three but someone stole one!










Thanksgiving Day 2013, with Mom and Dad at Meema and Papaw's.




No comments:

Post a Comment